Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Great Grandma Collings

On Sunday, November 27, Clara lost her Great-Grandma Collings.  Her death came unexpectedly, but there is no doubt she is in a better place.  We spent the week in Dallas with family and attending her memorial.  My dad wrote the following which I shared during the memorial service...
"It is times like this that Hebrews 12 comes so alive.  'Therefore since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and sin which so easily entagles us and let us run with endurance the race tha is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus the author and perfector of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has set down at the right hand of the throne of God.'  That is my picture of mom, we are on the playing field of life and she is up there with those who have gone before, cheering us on in life.  As we fumble our way towards the finish line, they are there.  Mom was ready.  Sometimes, I feel like our prayers hinder someone from reaching the finish line or heave or God's presence as we cannot let go of them.  Dad died two years ago and she missed him.  The hug of your mate can never be replaced.  Praise god they are together again.  ...

Thank you for those Hudgens blue eyes that are passed from generation to generation.

Thank you for being the first teacher for so many children.  The impact of a teacher in kindergarten plays such a role in children's lives. I know this world is better for the instruction and love you shared with them.

Thank you for having time to listen, not jumping in with solutions but just letting us talk through trials and flie with gentle guidance and prayer.

Thank you for showing us what a marriage is and the commitment you both made to each other.

Thank you for always being so positive and looking for the good in others.  The human side of her did produce a little bit of a worrier, but was matched by the Spiritual side of being a prayer warrior.

If I had just one word to describe Dad it would be 'integrity' as he was a man of his word, but with mom the word is 'selflessness'.  She was the caregiver.  It was never about her.  She always put others first.  When God united the two, what a combination.  They completed each other so well.  Dad was the visionary of our family and mom was the glue that kept it together.  He was the fortress.  She was the shelter.  He was the earner and she was the giver.  He organized.  She prayed.  He was a writer and she was a reader.  He was a leader and she was a teacher.  Allowing us to grow under their care has been the greatest blessing I could ever imagine.

I am so comforted knowing she finished the race and is part of the cloud of witnesses.  God gives us peace knowing that we will be united again." - Dad

After Grandpa's death, every time I talked to Grandma she told me how much she loved me and how special I was to her.  She also knew how much I loved her, but I never had a chance to tell her what a wonderful example of a Christian woman she was to me.  When thinking of Grandma, 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 is what comes to my mind.  My Grandma was patient, she was kind, she did not envy, or boast, or be prideful.  She didn't dishonor others or was self-seeking.  She was never angered or held records of wrong doings.  She protected, hoped, trusted, perserved.  My Grandma was Love.  I'll miss her but am thankful for her passing these traits to my father and hope to pass them on to my children. 

Telling Clara the importance of football to the Collings family

Meeting for the first time

Cheering Clara on as she learned to crawl
(Will post a few more recent pictures soon)

1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting this I go back to it every so often, Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete